Tanisha Drummer Parrish

Mac vs. PC Man

Getting laid off has afforded me the opportunity to experience so many new things.  It’s true that when God closes one door, an infinite number of new doors open. One of my new experiences was purchasing a Mac computer. I have never purchased a computer in my entire career because I was fortunate to always have a laptop for work. My company even let me keep my laptop when I was away at business school. Well, getting laid off ended that and I was faced with the difficult decision of what type of laptop to buy. I knew Macs were the sexiest machines out there, but they came with a significantly higher price tag than PCs. So my goal was to figure out if in the end if it was worth it. I did a bunch of research, store tests and interviews and still wasn’t sure what the answer was. I stepped out blindly and ended up getting a MacBook. It took a while for me to adjust to it and a month into using it I was indifferent.  I felt like I could have stayed with a PC and because the Mac was too much to adjust to. Things changed slowly as I got more and more acquainted with it and four months later, I made the famous declaration of “I’m never going back to a PC again”!.

So here I am enjoying my love affair with my Mac and I started thinking about the Mac-PC debate in relation to men. I now pose this question for men…Which is better, the Mac man or the PC man? Here’s a description of each in relation to its computer counterpart.

The Mac man is sexy, smart and sophisticated and knows it. He has swagger for days and the confidence to back it up. He enjoys making you happy because his mother taught him how to treat a woman. Although, generally refined, he can be edgy and quirky at times, which keeps you interested. You never know what new feature you’ll learn about him that day.

While the Mac man is ahead of his time, he can only vibe with special individuals and often alienates himself from other people. He can be arrogant and a bit snobby because he knows he is a rare breed and has the tricks to prove it. Girlfriends of Mac men recognize each other immediately because they know they’re the only ones who can handle such a powerful man. He wins the girl because he listens to her needs and goes the extra mile to fulfill her desires. The downfall is you never know what a Mac man is thinking. He could want to settle down one minute or move to Paris the next. Mac men can be hard to find and once hurt; it’s hard for them to recover. They become closed and will not allow you to help them.  You’re limited knowledge of their emotions, forces you to set them free.  They usually find themselves returning to a safe haven to spend time with the people who can help rebuild their ego. The next version of this man is even more impressive than the last.

The PC man loves love being him because he is very well known and recognizable by the masses. Most people don’t know anything about the Mac man and therefore he has the competitive advantage.  He prides himself on being the average guy.  He started from humble beginnings, but found a way to create success for himself and those around him.   He is not a man of extremes, but even keeled and predictable. Sometimes he doesn’t recognize his flaws initially, but is always willing to work on them when pointed out although this is usually a slow process.

The PC man can be versatile and is attracted to a broad range of women. His dress varies depending on the occasion. Some days he finds himself in a suit, other days in jeans and tennis shoes.  His love is universal and is not as discerning at the Mac man. The PC man is stable and wants to maintain his position as the key person in your life. He will hold down a job, stay at home with the kids, and make you happy 80% of the time. It’s the remaining 20% that drives you crazy.  His predictability can be stifling when fun and creativity takes a backseat to everyday tasks. When the relationship with a PC man crashes and burns and you enter a new relationship with another PC man, you may find yourself back in the same situation again.

I wrote this on my layover at JFK. I was sitting in a bar on my laptop when I noticed three other people sitting near me with a Mac. I found myself checking them out and making a judgement about the types of people they were. I was thinking, “Oh they must be cool, interesting people if they have a Mac”. So will my current love affair with my MacBook last forever, or does it suit my needs for this period in my life? Having had both types of computers and dated both types of men, I find myself wondering which is better? And is it situational depending on the time in your life? [polldaddy poll=1712278]

© 2023 Tanisha Drummer Parrish – Life Under Innovation